Our little 5 month old
My little Muscle Man
As you may know from recent posts, we have recently gone and returned home from Florida. It was an adventure... I thought I was prepared. Read about and "pinned" all I could about traveling with an infant. However, nothing could have prepared me for missing our connection and spending 8 hours in the Atlanta airport. Actually Silas was great at the airport, the problem was he wouldn't/couldn't sleep. There were no dim rooms or quiet places. Lots of people to watch and too many things to see. Nursing was another issue. If I used the cover he would get angry because he wanted to see so we tried nursing in the bathroom, but the constant flushing of toilets scared and distracted him. Overall, in a 19 hour stretch our little guy got maybe, maybe a total of 3 hours of sleep and he didn't eat hardly at all. SO by the time we finally landed in Florida he was extremely over tired and once we made it to our rental car he was extremely hungry. From the airport to where we stayed he screamed a wailing ear piercing scream for the 1 hour and 20 minutes it took us to get there. It.was.fun. I wish I was exaggerating, I wish I could say it wasn't that bad, but it was. It was terrible. Needless to say he ate and crashed like a rock, but the rest of the weekend didn't get much better. He wasn't terribly fussy, but he never did eat or sleep well. His surroundings were too different and he wasn't in HIS bed. We tried, but he just could not get enough rest. He became emotionless and would hardly smile and definitely no cooing or laughing. It broke my heart to see how tired he was and know there was nothing I could really do. To make the trip even less fun, the weather wasn't great. It was cool and the wind was strong and would beat you with the sand and broken shells on the beach. We didn't get to take Silas out or get cute little photos of his first time experiencing the waves. Sad. The EOD Ball was actually fun and we were able to eat at a couple of our favorite places down in Destin, but when all was said and done, as thankful as we are that we could go, it was not worth the trouble. It took several days for Silas to catch up on sleep and get back to normal. He was just so exhausted, but we perservered and learned a lot of lessons. One thing was obvious, Silas is a great flyer and I am sure on future trips it won't be so bad, but for the time being we are a little bit scarred and going to take it easy on travel.
Time with Mimi
Dressed for the ball
In addition to all the other news, on Silas' 5 month anniversary of being out of utero we celebrated by introducing him to Rice Cereal. He loved it, but since his first encounter with "solids" we have moved to oatmeal because a friend of mine informed me it was easier for him to digest. He loved that even more. He takes it well and we haven't experienced any negative effects, in fact, he is sleeping much better and for longer periods at night.
So excited for his next bite
Mmmmm
"Gimme that oatmeal!"
Hope you enjoyed the Silas update :) . I love talking about him and how spectacular he is. I can't seem to get enough of him, even when he is over tired and screaming his little round head off. He is my sweet boy and I cherish the snot out of him. He poops a lot and is a stinky boy, but who would want it any other way. Haha!
No comments:
Post a Comment